Nuwakot a tiny historic hill town within the Nuwakot district of Nepal and is the in the heart of the nation. It was once on a major trade route to Tibet, it has since become one of the most thriving commercial hubs of Nepal, and was by many regarded as the Western gateway to the Kathmandu valley.
Though small in size, its strategic significance for the unification of fragmented princely states into the single, modern-day Nepal has been hugely important. In fact, it was from here that late Prithvi Narayan Shah of Gorkha and the founder of Nepal actually begun their negotiations. Realizing its strategic and economic significance, King Prithvi Narayan Shah made this on many occasions his settlement from which he did his negotiation campaigns. After this quest, Nuwakot eventually became the capital until the title moved to Kathmandu in 1768.
Seven Story Palace
Built-in 1762 AD named ''DurgaRatna" from the text stuck on its entrance gate. However, it has eventually been renamed and become famous as the Seven Story Palace. Strategically placed and impressively built, this palace is of extreme historical importance and is still regarded as a model of architecture. With 5 feet thick walls and towering seven stories above the streets, the palace was built to withstand the strongest of forces. King Prithvi Narayan Shah used this fortress to plan and organize his unification campaign from. A testimony to its historical significance is that it was in this palace that King Rana Bahadur Shah welcomed the British representative, Mr. William Kirkpatrick, in 1793, just after the war between Nepal and China. In addition, here, in 1816 AD, King Gribanyoddha received a letter of credential from Mr. E. Gardner, the first representative of the UK to visit Nepal.
Rangamahal (The palace of Malla King)
Since Nuwakot was jointly ruled by the Malla kings of the Kathmandu valley, Rangamahal was built for the purpose of a pleasurable spot for the three kings of the valley. Situated just east of the Seven Story Palace, Rangamahal is made of beautiful oily bricks with fine wooden carvings.
This four-story palace is known as Garadhghar. It is situated facing the Seven Story palace and is believed that the King Prithvi Narayan Shah built it in 1762 as a Tilingaghar( Store of weapons). Featuring a unique Nepalese architect of Pagoda style, it stands majestically in the town and remains at the center of attraction for the visitors.
We drive you to Nuwakot after breakfast in the hotel in Kathmandu. After doing an excursion in Nuwakot, including the Malika hill, we return to Kathmandu having Nepali typical lunch in Parvati's Homestay.
Name of the Tour Nuwakot Tour
Distance 80 km north west of Kathmandu
Activities Cultural Sightseeing of Heritage Sites, Photography, Little hike with village tour
The trip starts at 7 AM
Duration 3- 5 hours
Season Round the year
Transportation By PRIVATE CAR /PRIVATE VAN
Pick up Point The hotel you stay in KTM
Group Size 1 - 15 pax +
Type of the tour Private